October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you haven’t gone for a check up, please do.
- Sai and Joeslyn
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY GUIDELINES FOR THE EARLY DETECTION OF CANCER
Screening tests are used to find cancer before a person has any symptoms. Here are the American Cancer Society's recommendations to help guide you when you talk to your doctor about screening for certain cancers.
- Women ages 40 to 44 should have the choice to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms (x-rays of the breast) if they wish to do so.
- Women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year.
- Women 55 and older should switch to mammograms every 2 years, or can continue yearly screening.
- Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 10 more years or longer.
- All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations, and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening.
CANCER PREVENTION: 7 TIPS TO REDUCE YOUR RISK
You've probably heard conflicting reports about cancer prevention. Sometimes a specific cancer-prevention tip recommended in one study is advised against in another.
Often, what's known about cancer prevention is still evolving. However, it's well-accepted that your chances of developing cancer are affected by the lifestyle choices you make.
So if you're interested in preventing cancer, take comfort in the fact that simple lifestyle changes can make a difference. Consider these cancer-prevention tips.
13 FOODS THAT COULD LOWER YOUR RISK OF CANCER
What you eat can drastically affect many aspects of your health, including your risk of developing chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
The development of cancer, in particular, has been shown to be heavily influenced by your diet.
Many foods contain beneficial compounds that could help decrease the growth of cancer.
There are also several studies showing that a higher intake of certain foods could be associated with a lower risk of the disease.
This article will delve into the research and look at 13 foods that may lower your risk of cancer.